- - Legal
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Employee Specialist, under the direction of the General Counsel, will help team members to understand their rights and obligations under applicable HR policies and procedures and will serve as a liaison for individual team members to assist them in working with management and Human Resources to resolve complaints or conflicts that arise in the workplace following applicable employment guidelines and policies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Provide assistance and coaching to individual team members to help the understand and follow applicable employment guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with Membership Liaisons to ensure appropriate follow up of concerns presented to the Membership Liaisons by team members.
- Assist individual team members to communicate clearly and effectively with management both orally and in writing.
- Assist team members in meetings with management and at hearings.
- Recommend modifications or improvements to employment guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Assist HR to develop and conduct training designed to assist team members in understanding their rights and obligations under applicable employment guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Maintain a high level of familiarity with all employment guidelines, policies and procedures.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Adhere to employment guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Promote the consistent administration of all employment guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers; immediate supervisor; all levels of team members; HR personnel; executives, supervisors, managers, and executives throughout tribal government and tribal enterprises.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, near/midrange/far vision; frequent sitting and occasional standing, walking, carrying/lifting, pushing/pulling, stooping, reaching, manual handling, color/field of vision, bending, typing and driving. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather. Potential hazards include frequent computer use and occasional client contact and equipment use.
Education: Bachelor's Degree required, with major coursework in Human Resource Management, Labor Relations, prefer Master's degree in Business or Public Relations, Human Resource Management, or Labor Relations.
Experience: Minimum of three years comparable work experience dealing with labor relations issues such as disciplinary issues, grievances, and the performance of performance improvement plan processes.
Certifications: Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Must have working knowledge of all team member guidelines, policies, and procedures. Must possess excellent communications skills, both written and verbal. Must be able to deal courteously and effectively with challenging people. Must be able to handle multiple assessments simultaneously. Must be able to exercise tact and discretion and maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.