- - Head Start/Early Head Start
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Cook, under the direction of the Education and Disabilities Supervisor, is responsible for the preparation of homemade meals for infants, toddlers, and preschool children in accordance with Federal, State, and Tribal regulations. The position is responsible for the preparation of meals for children and families at special events, in accordance with established regulations; and for maintaining a clean and safe working environment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Provides nutritionally balanced and age appropriate meals to infants, toddlers, pre-school children, staff, and families; in accordance with all Federal, State, and Tribal regulations.
- Develops menus to accommodate special needs children and children with allergies.
- Maintains detailed accurate records for meal attendance, meal summary, food and non-food costs, mileage, menus and comparison shops.
- Provides monthly reports in compliance with program reporting requirements.
- Guides and assists very young children through entire meal service; setting tables, cleaning, family style meal service, serving, pouring, scooping, etc.
- Follows planned menus and incorporates family requested meals and cultural foods into menus.
- Works with Registered Dietician and Health Coordinator to plan and coordinate menus.
- Works with Instructors to plan and coordinate nutrition activities for classroom education.
- Complies with and enforces all Food Service Regulations.
- Promotes a healthy and pleasant eating experience.
- Prepares and serves meals to infants, toddlers, preschoolers and adults.
- Maintains work area by performing light janitorial work which includes sweeping, mopping, dusting and cleaning of kitchen and eating areas.
- Shops for groceries, orders supplies and maintains inventory on a First-in, First-out basis.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Evacuates children during emergency and monthly drills.
- Prepares formula and bottles for infants.
- Cleans and defrosts freezers and refrigerators, cleans ovens, cupboards, and storage areas.
- Dishwashing and sanitation of entire work space and children's eating area.
- Assists in classroom when needed.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying of more than 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant standing, use of hearing, smell, near/mid/far vision, depth perception, color and field of vision; frequent walking, carrying/lifting/pushing/pulling, stooping and reaching, drivingand bending; and occasional sitting, kneeling and manual handling. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, noise, vibration and air quality. Potential hazards include constant exposure to moving mechanical parts, electric shock and equipment; and frequent exposure to chemicals, insecticides/pesticides/ infectious exposure and client contact. Must obtain an annual TB Test. Must be in good physical health as determined by physician. Protective equipment needed to perform the job includes gloves, hair net, goggles and apron.