- - Juvenile Detention Center
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Detention Officer, under the direction of the Lead Detention Officer, is responsible for providing for the safety, welfare and security of the residents, staff, and visitors within the Sault Tribe Youth Facility and for the security of the facility itself. The position is responsible for supervising, guiding and counseling residents through daily activities within the established framework of the detention setting and enforces rules with a behavior management setting by providing positive and negative reinforcements.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Supervises residents of the facility to ensure that adequate security measures are met and that order is maintained.
- Conducts security checks, takes resident counts, performs room inspections and monitors video and audio systems.
- Observes, confronts and redirects residents' behavior within a behavior management setting.
- Enforces rules by providing positive and negative reinforcements.
- Organizes and directs recreational activities including physical education, games, gym events, outdoor events and other activities.
- Intervenes as necessary in crisis situations.
- Follows policy and procedural guidelines for physical and mechanical restraints, room confinements and other appropriate action.
- Performs room checks as required when residents are secured in rooms, searches for prohibited items on residents, in rooms and throughout the facility and performs regular counts of potentially dangerous items.
- Transports youth to activities outside of the facility, court appointments and medical and dental appointments.
- Ensures that appropriate behavior is adhered to and that safety and security are maintained.
- Assists therapist in the development and implementation of the planning and goal setting process for the individual youth if needed.
- Acts as positive role models and utilizes accepted principles when conducting individual counseling to assist residents in decision making.
- Ensures that residents follow proper health and hygiene practices.
- Instructs and supervises youth in the performance of daily housekeeping, chores and cleaning duties, including light maintenance work.
- Reviews logs and reports to identify resident needs and behaviors.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Prepares and dispenses prescribed medications.
- Refers youth to appropriate health care provider for any health related problems.
- Completes injury/illness forms as needed and notes any physical or other health related problems.
- Performs intakes of residents and gathers information.
- Searches for contraband during initial resident intake process.
- Assesses the resident's potential for suicide or health concern.
- Notes any physical health problems and reports any suspected child abuse or neglect.
- Prepares a variety of reports and documents summarizing resident progress, observations, incidents, behavior and adjustment problems and other required information for use by the Probation Officers, Therapists, Judges and other related officials.
- Ensures youths are provided nutritional balanced meals daily, including those with special dietary needs.
- Performs drug testing, urinalysis and breathalyzer testing as required.
- Attends meetings and mandatory trainings.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate manager/supervisor, managers in other departments, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds. Physical factors include frequent standing, walking, carrying, use of hearing, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, driving, typing, bending reaching; occasional sitting, lifting/pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, manual handling and use of smell. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, and noise and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts, client contact, infectious exposure computer use; occasional exposure to chemical, insecticides/pesticides, infectious exposure, exposure to needles/syringes and equipment, exposure to physical and emotional behavior of youths and various states of cleanliness and hygiene of youth and; exposure to various bodily fluids. Visual acuity to sufficiently monitor control cameras and security panel, to distinguish colors and provide forms of other resident supervision. Must be able to physically restrain youths. Personal protection equipment provided by employer includes items such as but not limited to, gloves, gowns, face shields, masks, eye protection, mouth pieces, resuscitation bags, pockets masks, ventilation devices and other equipment as needed. Immunizations including Hepatitis B vaccination series will be offered to team member at no cost. Must have visual acuity skills and be able to monitor cameras and security panels and distinguish colors. TB vaccinations required on yearly basis and provided to team member at no cost.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience working in Corrections or Law Enforcement field required.
Certification/License: Certification in field of Corrections or Law Enforcement preferred. Must be able to successfully complete a 6-½ week Juvenile Detention Officer Training Academy. Must meet BIA standards and be a minimum of 18 years of age. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to work in possible hostile and/or adversarial conditions. Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing and spreadsheet and data base software. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and guests. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts