- - Health
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Part Time
The Patient Registration Clerk is responsible for answering questions and directing outpatient visitors to appropriate clinical locations and/or departments. Answers telephone, screens and directs calls to appropriate staff or department. Interviews patients to obtain pertinent patient registration information such as insurance information and authorization to enable the Billing Department to bill for health care services provided from alternative resources.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Verifies and updates (on new and established patients) demographic, financial, and insurance, information as needed in both software systems - RPMS and current practice management software.
- Answers telephone, screen and direct calls to appropriate staff and/or departments.
- May schedule appointments in accordance with established procedures.
- Assigns a chart number for new patients and distributes patient information to appropriate departments.
- May collect co-pays and payments for services rendered and prepare daily deposits.
- May call patients at home to remind them of appointments.
- May schedule patients for various departments.
- Assures that the patient bill of rights/responsibilities are provided to all patients of record.
- Assists patients to sign release of information forms and other necessary forms for the medical records.
- Assists pharmacy by collecting medication refill forms.
- Provides customer service relating to payment or receipt of funds on patient accounts.
- Reconciles payments to total deposit and maintains appropriate records & receipts.
- Retrieve patient charts from medical records dept if necessary.
- Prepare the record for routing to provider and assure face sheets and other documents are available.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assures patient privacy and confidentiality
- Maintains reception area in a professional, courteous and efficient manner.
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments and customers.
Position is sedentary: primarily sitting/lifting of maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant sitting, use of near vision and typing; frequent use of hearing, mid and far vision; and occasional standing, walking, carrying, lifting, climbing, stooping, reaching, manual handling, depth perception, color and field of vision and bending.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 6 months experience in a physician office or clinic performing reception and/or registration duties required; 1 year of experience preferred.
Certification/License: Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of medical/dental and other human service terminology preferred. Knowledge of privacy act and confidential responsibilities preferred. Knowledge of secretarial skills, training and experience in medical/dental office practices preferred. Knowledge of telephone answering protocols for ambulatory setting preferred. Must preserve patient confidentiality. Must have good oral and written communications and basic clerical skills. Must maintain strict confidentiality. Proficient with computer systems preferred. Excellent communication skills preferred. Native American preferred.
REMUNERATION: $10.43 per hour