- - Environmental
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Environmental Specialist – Air Quality, under the direction of the Environmental Program Manager, is responsible for furthering the role of the Tribal Environmental Department in protecting and restoring the natural resources of the Tribe, through inspecting, planning, managing, monitoring, and reporting on ambient and indoor air quality affecting tribal members. The incumbent will be the lead person implementing Air Program Development grants for the Tribe.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Builds tribal capacity to review and comment on air quality permit processes, specifically related to industrial air emitters in the eastern upper peninsula of Michigan.
- Develops and implements an Air Quality monitoring program in coordination with Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan.
- Maintains all data and databases associated with ambient and indoor air quality.
- Drafts proposals for future air quality work, Clean Diesel work, Woodstove Changeout program, and other similar clean air projects.
- Develops and carries out an outreach program to educate the tribal community about air quality and health issues.
- Reviews current Sault Tribe policies and develops ordinances, regulations, and procedures related to ambient and indoor air quality.
- Leads strenuous field activities under all weather conditions, promotes a safe working environment and maintains environmental equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Performs statistical analysis and summarizes findings into scientific reports to meet grant requirements and effectively manage Tribal resources.
- Utilizes GIS and other computer software applications to assist meeting program goals.
- Works with State, Federal, and other Tribal resources and environmental professionals to integrate environmental/land programs with tribal goals and cultural values.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Ensures tools and equipment are safely and correctly used, maintained, and stored.
- Participates in Environmental Department outreach activities regarding air quality.
- Attends meetings, training, and conferences as required to maintain professional skills.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendors/service providers, children and youth, tribal members, volunteers; Federal , State and County and Tribal agency representatives.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include frequent walking, sitting, use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, typing; occasional pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, driving, and bending. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme cold, wet/humidity and air quality and driving within the Sault Tribe Service area. Potential hazards include frequent computer use and occasional exposure to chemicals, infectious exposure and needles/syringes.
Education: Sixty College or University credits towards a degree in Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Natural Sciences, Geography or Engineering required; Bachelor's Degree preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience working in a scientific or engineering field required. Experience working in Air Quality preferred.
Certification/License: Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing and spreadsheet and data base software. Must be able to work extended hours when needed in emergency to protect public health and safety. Interest and motivation to achieve Tribal environmental goals required. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisory personnel, coworkers and the general public. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
REMUNERATION: $17.94 per hour
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts