- - USDA
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
***NATIVE AMERICAN PREFERENCE APPLIES***
The Warehouse Worker/Assistant Driver, under the direction of the Warehouse Foreman, is responsible for assisting in all warehouse and delivery functions on a day-to-day basis for USDA Department. The position is also responsible for assisting with the storage and distribution of Department of Defense produce and USDA FDPIR food commodities to certified Tribal families in a 15 county distribution area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Prepares food items for use in the USDA food distribution.
- Delivers food products to elders and homebound clients.
- Enters client data into Automated Inventory System (A.I.S.).
- Maintains and sanitizes warehouse work areas, coolers, dry storage facilities by performing light janitorial work, i.e. sweeping, mopping, dusting and cleaning.
- Receives and inventories all USDA and DOD food items.
- Supervises student workers as needed.
- Maintains fire extinguishers and exit signs and performs monthly checks to ensure equipment works properly.
- Takes daily temperatures of freezers and coolers and documents in log book.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Works tailgate distributions when necessary .
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers and outside vendor/service providers.
Position heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum with team or dual lifting and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant manual handling, use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision; frequent standing, walking, sitting, pulling, reaching, bending; occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, driving and typing.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Certification/License: Industrial Truck Operation and Permit required within 90 days of hire, training will be provided. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of or ability to learn to use word processing and spreadsheet and data base software required. Fire extinguisher maintenance training required within 90 days of hire, training will be provided. Automated external deliberator maintenance training required within 90 days of hire, training will be provided. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit a friendly and positive attitude. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public. Knowledge of warehouse functions according to USDA and FDPIR regulations preferred. Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
REMUNERATION: $10.43 per hour