Medical Laboratory Technician - Closing: Open Until Filled
- - Health
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Medical Laboratory Technician, under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, is responsible for serving as a Medical Laboratory Technician of a rural health center/outpatient clinic with responsibility for carrying out a diagnostic testing program providing microbiology, hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, serology, and special chemistry.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Evaluates requested procedures to determine the suitability of specimen for analysis, requesting new specimen if determined to be unusable.
- Prepares specimens for analysis, insuring that the physiologic state of the properties is maintained.
- Implements specimen collection and preparation procedures including performing phlebotomy and collecting specimens in addition to providing education to medical staff in the proper methods of specimen collection and transport.
- May instruct medical staff in techniques, equipment use and test ordering requirements, etc.
- Performs and verifies routine and specialized tests.
- Evaluates referred testing.
- Conducts quality control procedures on equipment, reagents, and products by using instruments, reagents, and product check systems.
- Calibrates, standardizes, adjusts, and maintains instruments.
- Verifies correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks (e.g., mechanical, optical, photometric, electrometric, and automated) and identifies the cause of common problems and makes repairs.
- Plans and carries out the work and adapts or otherwise modifies conventional techniques as necessary to perform specific analyses, and preserve stock cultures, i.e prepares reagents.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Responds to requests for information from health center staff, satellite clinics, and other staff.
- Participates in providing health instruction to clinic patients, family members, and community groups on an as required basis.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, patients and outside vendors/service providers.
Position sedentary primarily sitting/lifting of maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant sitting, use of hearing, near/midrange vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, typing; frequent standing, walking, sitting/lifting, reaching; occasional pushing/pulling, stooping, use of smell, use of far vision and bending. Working conditions include occasional exposure to extreme noise. Potential hazards include constant patient contact, computer and equipment use; frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts, chemicals, infectious exposure and needles/syringes and occasional exposure to electric shock. The work requires regular and recurrent standing to perform tests walking between the different sections of the laboratory, and reaching and bending to obtain supplies and operate instruments. Occasionally lifts 30/40 pound containers of liquid reagent. Personal protection equipment/clothing needed to perform job include fit for N95 Respirator. Must follow universal precautions while at work and wear personal protective equipment. All protective equipment provided by employer. The work involves moderate risks of discomforts associated with working in a clinical laboratory with regular and recurrent exposure to hazards such as infectious materials, chemicals, and electrical appliances. The technician must use protective clothing, eye protectors, and biological safety hood.
Education: Associates Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology or Applied Science related fields required.
Experience: No experience required.
ASCP or AMT Certification is required within 12 months of hire.
Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must be able to use judgment and initiative in interpreting and adapting guidelines for application to specific laboratory problems, formulating alternative approaches where space and equipment limitations make a standard procedure impossible or infeasible, and adapting established methodologies and practices to meet the needs of the laboratory and the community.
Professional knowledge of medical technology principles, concepts, and methodology sufficient to perform a broad range of emergency tests, including complex and non-routine analyses, run quality controls, research and implement new procedures required.
Knowledge of mathematical and statistical processes sufficient to calculate and convert analytical data to test results required.
Knowledge and skill sufficient to use and maintain complicated instruments (e.g., automated blood cell counter, automated clinical chemistry analyzers, automated microbiology analyzers).
Knowledge of technical, physiologic, and mechanical indicators of malfunction (e.g., test conditions, patient variables) sufficient to locate and correct errors required.
Knowledge of related disciplines to integrate and correlate test results with other laboratory data to (e.g., functional testing) to draw conclusions required.
Must possess professional knowledge of medical technology and accrediting/regulatory requirements of AAAHC, CLIA, HCFA, CAP, or TJC sufficient to insure that the work is consistent with standards (e.g., maintaining chain of custody, handling blood components in accordance with the Federal Code of Regulations) required.
Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts