Maintenance Technician (STHC) Closing: Open Untiled Filled
- - Government - Medical
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Maintenance Technician, under the direction of the Facilities Manager, is responsible for performing preventative maintenance, repairs, trouble shooting, and replacement of various HVAC equipment, mechanical and electric motors, pumps, and various safety devices and equipment. The position is responsible for keeping logs on all forms of fire and safety and mechanical equipment, inspections, tests, and services performed. The position also performs snow and ice removal and limited security duties. The position also assists in groundskeeping activities and assisting housekeeping staff.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assembles, installs and maintains lawn care, snow removal, housekeeping and facility equipment.
- Maintains logs and data bases of information for fire safety and mechanical equipment inspections, tests and services performed.
- Assists housekeeping team members with performing housekeeping duties as assigned.
- Assembles, moves, installs, maintains and tests various types of equipment and furniture, i.e., medical exam tables, exam room lighting, projector screens and shelving units.
- Performs grounds keeping activities, landscaping, and snow and ice removal from sidewalks, ramps, and entrances.
- Performs general and preventative maintenance on mechanical, maintenance and housekeeping equipment.
- Performs light carpentry, light electrical repairs, light plumbing and facility repairs, plumbing, moving furniture, grounds keeping and snow and ice removal.
- Sweeps, dusts, strips and waxes tile floors.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBIILTIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Performs maintenance and housekeeping supervisory duties in the absence of the Facility Manager to ensure there is no interruption in building operations on a daily basis.
- Assists housekeeping in moving furniture, repairing housekeeping equipment, trash removal and spill clean-up as needed.
- Assists with securing the facility and responding to alarms.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, executives, customers and outside vendor/service providers.
Position heavy with team or dual lifting of 100 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include frequent standing, walking, use of hearing, near/midrange vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, bending; occasional sitting, lifting/carrying, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, manual handling and use of far vision and typing. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather and occasional exposure to extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, noise, vibration and air quality. Potential hazards include occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts, electric shock, chemicals, insecticides/pesticides, client contact, needles/syringes, computer and equipment use. Protective equipment/clothing needed to perform job include safety gloves, eye protection, ear protection, dust masks, steel toed boots and winter weather clothing.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience in mechanical, electrical and equipment repair required.
Certification/License: Trade or Technical School Certification in HVAC Systems or Facility Maintenance preferred. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC equipment and controls) required. Knowledge of electrical, electric motors, and various water pumps required. Knowledge of basic light carpentry and plumbing required. Knowledge of facility safety regulations: OSHA, Life Safety preferred. Knowledge of bio hazard medical waste handling and disposal preferred. Knowledge and ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and data base software preferred. Knowledge of basic housekeeping processes and job requirements, sweeping, mopping, dusting, stripping and waxing floors required. Knowledge of common commercial chemicals such as floor strippers, disinfectants, and waxes preferred. Ability to trouble shoot, replace and service various mechanical components of HVAC equipment, pumps, and electric motors required. Must be able to work extended hours when needed. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit a friendly and positive attitude. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.