Maintenance Technician (St Ignace Lambert Center) Open Until Filled
- - Facilities
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Part Time
The Maintenance Technician, under the direction of the Maintenance/Housekeeping Supervisor or Maintenance Coordinator – West end, is responsible for performing a wide variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks, which include inspection, repair and maintenance, and housekeeping tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Inspects, repairs and completes preventative maintenance tasks such as electrical repairs, heating/cooling, carpentry, drywall repair and painting.
- Repairs, replaces and/or installs new plumbing fixtures, pipes, and water lines, and hot water tanks.
- Clears stoppages in sinks, urinals, toilet bowls and sewer lines.
- Maintains and troubleshoots septic system and maintenance issues.
- Repairs, replaces, troubleshoots and performs minor maintenance on electrical equipment.
- Performs safety inspections on all emergency lights, fire extinguishers and safety systems.
- Removes snow and ice from walkways and roof systems.
- Maintains building carpets using carpet extraction equipment including pre-spotters, detergents and biohazard kits as required.
- Oversees contractors for quality and completeness of contracted work.
- Responds to maintenance and repair requests from other departments and buildings in a timely manner.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Maintains inventory, completes requisitions and orders housekeeping and maintenance supplies.
- Cleans daily, i.e. sweeps, scrubs, mops, waxes floors, vacuums, dusts, washes window and disposes of trash at various tribal office buildings.
- Repairs screens and windows.
- Cares for lawn, shrubs and cleans sidewalks.
- Cleans various types of building floor surfaces to include vinyl, vinyl composition tile and ceramic tile.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other department, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, executives, Board of Directors, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, midrange vision; frequent standing, walking, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, reaching, smell, field of vision, driving, typing, bending; occasional sitting, carrying/lifting, kneeling, crawling, use of depth perception and color vision. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather and occasional exposure to extreme heat/cold, we/humidity, noise and vibration. Potential hazards include frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts, chemicals, computer use, equipment use; occasional exposure to insecticides/pesticides and infectious exposure. Protective equipment/clothing needed to perform job includes items such as coats, boots, eye protection and gloves and other items needed to comply with safety requirements.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Two years of maintenance and housekeeping experience required.
Certification/License: Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of OSHA regulations required. Must have knowledge of cleaning supplies/chemicals and their proper usage. Knowledge of safety hazards associated with working in inclement weather, climbing, using ladders and tools and equipment use required. Knowledge of HVAC, electrical, plumbing and carpentry required. Knowledge of cleaning equipment and how to properly use cleaning supplies required. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, subordinates, supervisors and the general public. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must have excellent organizational skills; organizing work, prioritizing tasks and managing time. Must have good project management skills; provide strong leadership, prioritize project tasks, meet project deadlines and effectively communicate with personnel, coworkers, subordinates and the general public. Position required being on call to deal with facility based emergencies. Native American preferred.