Community Health Educator (Exercise Specialist) Closing: Open Until Filled
- - Government - Community Health
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Community Health Educator, under the direction of the Health Education Supervisor, is responsible for
promoting, maintaining, and improving individual and community health by assisting individuals and communities in adopting healthy behaviors and lifestyles. This position is responsible for working with the Health Education team to plan, organize, implement and evaluate programs designed to encourage healthy lifestyles, policies and environments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Plans and implements health education/health promotion services as defined in the Strategic Health plan and funded grant programs.
- Conducts interdisciplinary community and individual health education needs assessments and makes patient and community health care plan recommendations to the health care team.
- Consults with individual patients to implement an approved health care plan as directed.
- Charts and files all patient/client services reports.
- Provides health education in-service training for staff as needed
- Implements health programming for youth and adult populations.
- Develops health education materials as needed: newsletters, brochures, flyers, and conference and workshop materials.
- Provides health education resource services to all members of the health care team as requested.
- Prepares presentations, leads group events, organizes and chairs meetings as directed.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Attends all required Health Care in-service training activities.
- Serves as a resource to assist individuals, other professionals or the communication as needed.
- Coordinates coalition groups and committees as needed.
- Creates media releases and coordinates publicity for programs, events and related activities.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendor/service providers and external health providers.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision; frequent standing, walking, sitting, typing; occasional carrying/lifting, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, manual handling, travel to other work sites, travel and bending. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, noise and occasional exposure to air quality. Potential hazards include constant computer use, frequent client contact and exposure to electric shock and equipment.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Health Education required.
Experience: One year of experience working as a Health Educator or in Community Health preferred.
Certification/License: Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) Certification preferred. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to use word processing, spreadsheet and data base software. Knowledge of standard safe and healthy work procedures. Knowledge of HIPAA standards and regulations required. Knowledge of national, state and local health education resources preferred. Must be able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in a diverse range of audiences and settings. Must have excellent communication skills and be sensitive to cultural and economic diversity. Must have excellent organization skills; organizing work, prioritizing tasks and managing time. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and the general public. Must be able to be sensitive to the cultural dimensions of health education in Native American communities. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts