Legal Secretary (Sault Ste. Marie) Closes - Open Until Filled
- - Legal
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Legal Secretary, under the direction of the Tribal Attorney – Prosecutor is responsible for performing specialized and confidential clerical and administrative support to the Tribal Attorney – Prosecutor.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Performs office reception functions; answers telephone, greets guests and callers, handles inquiries and/or transfers to appropriate area/team member.
- Processes and tracks incoming correspondence.
- Processes travel arrangements, requisitions, and disbursement vouchers.
- Types, formats, and proofreads correspondence, reports and legal documents.
- Develops and maintains efficient filing system for correspondence, documents, records and case files.
- Maintains calendar of upcoming deadlines and system for tracking cases.
- Provides administrative support for trials, hearings, and other presentations.
- Drafts routine documents and correspondence.
- Processes applications for partial waivers of conviction under Chapter 76 of the Tribal Code.
- Conducts routine research and factual investigations of limited scope.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Maintains law library materials.
- Attend meetings.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, and managers in other departments, executives, Board of Directors and customers.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, near/midrange vision, frequent walking, sitting, manual handling, typing; occasional standing, carrying/lifting, pushing/pulling, stooping, kneeling, reaching, use of far vision and bending. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather. Potential hazards include frequent computer use and occasional equipment use.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Formal training as a Legal Secretary or completion of an Associate's Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Business or Law preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of administrative or secretarial experience required.
Certification/License: Notary Public preferred. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to use word processing spreadsheet and database software. Typing skills required. Knowledge of computer legal research programs, e.g., Westlaw, Counterclaim preferred. Must have excellent reading, writing and communication skills and be able to communicate clearly and effectively in person and in writing, and by telephone and email with co-workers, supervisors and the general public. Must be familiar with filing systems including management and archiving of case files. Must have organizational skills and be able to plan, prioritize and manage work load to meet goals in a timely manner. Must be able to work under pressure and handle difficult situations. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts