Receptionist (Tribal Court)-Full Time/Regular-Open Until Filled
- - Legal
- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
The Receptionist, under the direction of the Court Administrator/Magistrate, is responsible for being the primary point of contact for anyone who telephones the court and for assisting individuals by routing calls/messages to the appropriate team member or department. The position is also responsible for providing general office support and for assisting the court, litigants and counsel in providing and confirming court date and times, photocopying, scheduling meeting rooms for attorney/clients, ushering individuals in and out of courtroom and setting up telephone conferences as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Answers telephone and routes calls to appropriate team member or department.
- Files documents and pleadings in appropriate files, makes copies and sorts mail.
- Enters billing data, drug screen costs, billing data and case statistics into spreadsheets and reports.
- Types, edits and organizes proof of services, register of action sheets, exhibit summary lists and case files.
- Gathers files according to docket for hearings.
- Processes payments received by the Court; fines, fees and bonds.
- Drafts miscellaneous correspondence.
- Runs errands for court, i.e. delivering court documents to post office, accounting, or administration.
- Delivers to shipping company specimens/samples for drug testing.
- Orders supplies for department.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Enters closed case information into new case management system.
- Assists with miscellaneous projects as needed, i.e. gathering grant/statistical data, developing spreadsheets, tracking attorney billings/mileage and case assignments.
- · Keeps apprised of changes in procedures, rules, and law.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendor/service providers, court clients, attorneys, jail and prison staff, Tribal and community members.
Position sedentary primarily sitting and lifting a maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision; frequent sitting, use of smell, driving, typing; occasional standing, walking, carrying, stooping, reaching, bending and manual handling. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, wet/humidity, noise and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent court-client contact, computer and equipment use.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience in an office setting required.
Certification/License: Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of court case processes preferred. Knowledge of records management preferred. Working knowledge of legal documents and terminology preferred. Knowledge of Federal, State and Tribal laws and court rules preferred. Must have working knowledge and be able to use office machines, such as calculator, copier, fax, printer and computer. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit a friendly and positive attitude. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must have excellent organization skills; organizing work, prioritizing tasks and managing time. Must maintain good moral character and comply with the Court Rules of Conduct. Must be able to work under pressure and handle difficult situations. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts