Optometrist Supervisor (Manistique) Closes - Open Until Filled
- - Government - Optical
- MI, USA
- Depending on Experience
- Year Round - Part Time
Under the direction of the Rural Health Program Manager, the Optometrist Supervisor directs all aspects of optical clinical and administrative issues at the Manistique Tribal Health Center, including personnel, and provide for the delivery of optical care to the eligible patients in the Manistique service area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Directly responsible for the clinical care given and the operation of the MTHC optical clinic:
- Gives advice on the development of annual budget
- Administers annual budget
- Prepares and distributes all personnel issues to administration
- Interviews and assists in the selection of new optical staff members
- Orientates new employees into the clinic
- Conducts yearly evaluations of optical staff
- Trains new optical assistants
- Distributes and administers policies and procedures for the MTHC optical clinic
- Serves as optical representative at MTHC administrative meetings
- Plans and performs yearly optical quality improvement program for MTHC
- Supervises all MTHC optical assistants
- Creates, sets, writes and administers goals for MTHC optical program
- Coordinates technical and administrative issues between departments at MTHC
- Provides for repair of, maintenance, and purchasing of optical equipment
- Provides technical assistance for third party billing
- Provides direct optical care for patients at the MTHC:
- Conducts examinations and determines treatment plans for patients seen
- Refers patients to specialty and generalist care as needed
- Coordinates contract health referrals for eligible patients
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, Board of Directors, customers, outside vendors/service providers.
Position is sedentary, primarily sitting/lifting of maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing (good listening skills), near and midrange vision (computer use), color vision and typing; frequent standing, walking, sitting, use of far vision and bending; and occasional carrying, lifting under 10 pounds and pushing, including wheelchairs, climbing, stooping, reaching, manual handling, depth perception, field of vision and driving. Potential hazards include contact exposure to chemicals, patient and/or client contact, computer use and equipment (medical). Protective equipment/clothing needed to perform the job including clean scrubs and no open shoes requirement.
Education: B.S or B.A degree required. Doctor of Optometry required.
Experience: Three years supervisory experience required.
Certification/License: Michigan optometry license with diagnostic/therapeutic certification
Michigan controlled substance license. DEA license. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of all areas of general optometry, including the use of diagnostic and therapeutic agents. Knowledge of American Optometric Association Clinical Guidelines. Personnel management and supervision. Optical assistant training. Quality assurance principles. Technical service of optical equipment. Optical third party billing and fee schedules. Bi-annual chart review by Director of Optometric Services. Maintains approved credentials file at MTHC following hire
Native American preferred.