Health Assistant - Reception (St Ignace) Closes - 01/23/2020
- - Health
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Health Assistant, under the direction of the Medical Records Administrator, Health Center Clinic Manager or Community Health Program Manager – Rural, is responsible for collecting, maintaining, monitoring, and making available to authorized users timely, accurate, secure and complete, patient health information. The position is responsible for controlling the release of medical information from patient medical records in accords with the Privacy Act, HIPAA, applicable Federal, State, or Tribal Regulations/Codes and SaultTribeHealthCenter policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Updates patient medical records including chart preparation, retrieving and locating records.
- Performs Quality Reviews on medical records for completeness accuracy and ensures compliance with regulatory and HealthCenter requirements.
- Releases protected health information according to requested format and in compliance with regulatory and HealthCenter requirements and enters data into Electronic Health Records log to document requests and information sent.
- Reviews authorizations, requests and forms for the release of protected health information according to clinic, state, and government standards and regulations.
- Maintains and operates health record storage and retrieval systems to collect, classify, store, file and analyze record data.
- Notifies users of any deficiencies or incomplete information and corrects electronic errors (change note titles, retract documents, remove notifications).
- Performs physical chart maintenance of medical records to include reducing, thinning, repairing, scanning and archiving medical records.
- Informs internal and external customers of HIPAA regulations, release of information and internal processes and procedures.
- Uploads dictations and downloads transcriptions.
- Performs general office duties and coverage for Scheduling/Patient Registration, Physical Therapy, Pharmacy, Referral or other assigned areas as needed.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- The position is also responsible for performing duties which vary on a daily and hourly basis, based upon the needs of the clinic and the department.
- Attends meetings and trainings as required.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, executives, customers, outside vendors/service providers, Federal, State and Tribal agency representatives, hospital and medical field personnel and insurance agencies.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds, Physical factors include constant use of near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision; frequent standing, walking, sitting, pushing/pulling, stooping, kneeling, reaching, manual handling, use of hearing; occasional crawling and use of smell. Working conditions include constant exposure to medical office environment. Potential hazards include constant computer use; frequent patient contact, occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts, high exposed places, infectious exposure, needles/syringes and equipment.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Certification/License: Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology preferred. Knowledge of HIPAA and Privacy Act preferred. Knowledge of electronic health record software preferred. Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing and spreadsheet and data base software. Must have working knowledge and be able to use office machines, such as calculator, copier, fax, printer and computer. Must have critical thinking skills. Reading and writing skills required. Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. Must have organizational skills and be able to plan, prioritize and manage work load to meet goals in a timely manner. Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public. Must have the ability to respond to difficult and stressful situations in an efficient, effective and positive manner. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts