Senior Accountant (Sault Tribe Housing) Kincheloe - Open Until Filled
- - Government - Housing
- MI, USA
- Depending on Experience
- Year Round - Full Time
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the development, implementation, managing, and budgeting of all financial activity for all the assigned companies, services and programs within the Housing Authority. The position is responsible for ensuring all financial activity is recorded and reported in a timely fashion while exercising effective Accounting and Auditing practices. The position is responsible for compliance with and ensuring the Housing Authority follow all applicable NAHASDA (Native American Housing and Self Determination Act), GAAP, Federal, State Laws and Tribal policies and procedures. This position is responsible for the functionality of accounting, inventory, assets and all specifically designed software for the Housing Authority.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Analyzes, develops, implements, and/or maintains all of the Housing Authority, special revenue and Utility Authority accounting systems, relating to preparation, compilation and analysis of financial statements.
- Develops financial statements of assigned companies for accuracy and compliance with NAHASDA, State, Federal, GAAP, Tribal, and other regulatory authorities.
- Prepares annual budgets for all facets of the Housing Authority Operations, Tribe's Utility Authority and special revenue accounts.
- Complies with the timely filing of financial statements, and ensures they are completed in a high quality, timely and cost effective manner. Prepares federal financial reports for the Housing Authority and all special revenue accounts and processes financial draws from funding agencies ensuring funds are available to pay vendors and payroll.
- Prepares fixed asset detail for all assigned companies, identifies, enters and tracks the transfers, sales and disposition.
- Develops and monitors internal financial control policies and procedures to ensure all NAHASDA and applicable federal regulated accounting policies and procedures are complied with.
- Reconciles and ensures accuracy of inventory, supplies and materials monthly.
- Identifies, reviews, and compares credit card carriers for Housing Authority.
- Trains and assists director and managers on the management, implementation and budget modifications.
- Trains and assists director and managers how to interpret budgets and financial statements.
- Performs, prepares, and participates in monthly, quarterly and annual audits and reports findings to Housing Director and Chief Financial Officer.
- Establishes internal controls for the assigned companies ensuring compliance with established internal controls.
- · Responsible for all cash/bank management entries for the Housing Authority, including daily, monthly, quarterly and annual tie outs.
- · Maintains Accounting Chart of Accounts, Fastrs, and working with Tribal Comptroller on JD Edwards to resolve integrity issues and any other programming problems that may arise with the financial software.
- · Enters budgets into JDE and applicable Housing accounting software and maintains current budget files in both paper and electronic format.
- Attends all Board of Directors, Housing and Utility Authority commission meetings, workshops, budget reviews, program manager meetings, departmental, and Federal meetings, conferences and trainings as requested and/or required.
- Maintains, analyzes, and reports on all outside vendor software for compliance, accuracy and meeting Housing needs.
- Assists managers and directors with questions and problems concerning current 3rd party software and their functionality.
- Hires, trains and supervise Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable clerks; issues disciplinary action, conducts performance reviews, etc.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Ensures the companies entrusted to it follow all accounting policies and procedures and that all financial activity is recorded and reported in a timely fashion.
- Monitors and reports to the Housing Director and Comptroller, all entities or divisions in non-compliance of any applicable laws, rules, regulations, internal controls, policies and procedures, directives, etc. and recommends corrective measures.
- Ensures all Housing Authority accounting software systems is used to their maximum abilities and to the greatest degree of accuracy.
- · Procures investment services and maintains and monitors investment accounts.
- Completes all wage certifications for applicable companies.
- · Prepares Housing Authority payroll reconciliation annually
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, executives, Board of Directors, Housing and Utility Boards of Commission, customers, banks and investment advisors, outside vendors and service providers and HUD, Federal, State and local funding agencies.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant sitting and typing; frequent use of hearing, and occasional standing, walking, carrying, lifting up to 50 pounds, stooping, kneeling, reaching, manual handling, use of near vision, midrange and far vision, depth perception, color and field of vision, travel and bending. Physical factors include occasional exposure to extreme heat/cold, noise, vibration and air quality. Potential hazards include constant computer use; frequent client contact and occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts and equipment.
Education: Bachelor' Degree in Accounting or related field required.
Experience: Minimum of 8 years accounting experience required, of which 6 years must be in tribal accounting or tribal casino accounting experience. Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience required. Minimum of 3 years of experience in Tribal Housing accounting preferred.
Certification/License: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred. Must undergo a Criminal background investigation done under the rules of the National Indian Gaming Commission when applicable. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing, spreadsheet and database software and computer based accounting systems. Knowledge of AS400, JD Edwards, Microsoft Office Suite, inventory, software experience preferred. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must be able to exercise good judgment, resourcefulness and initiative. Must have superior knowledge of accounting, budgeting, inventory management, data entry procedures, including journal entries, accounts payable and receivable processing, bank reconciliation procedures, cash handling, purchasing documentation, time keeping, filing and archiving systems and organizational management principles and practices. Must have knowledge of Tribal programs and services, Tribal organizational structure, divisions, departments, program supervisors, staff and other appropriate contacts, applicable federal, state, and Sault Tribe Policies and Procedures and Regulations. Functional knowledge of NAHASDA statutes and federal implementing regulations preferred. Functional knowledge of Tribal Housing grant requirements and allowable expenses preferred. Knowledge of Accounting Department workflow, organizational structure, and operational policies and procedures preferred. Must have knowledge of standard and required reporting formats and schedules, and ability to develop reporting templates with complex formulas and extensive narrative. Must have ability to analyze problems and data, and develop responsive and effective solutions. Must have ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, maintain a cooperative, productive work environment, and promote positive public relations. Must have ability to respond to difficult and stressful situations in an effective and positive manner. Must have ability to develop and provide training for staff, including ability to demonstrate procedures. Must have excellent communication skills in writing and verbal, including public speaking. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts