Lead Maintenance Technician (St Ignace) Closes - 02/12/2020
- - Juvenile Detention Center
- MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Lead Maintenance Technician, under the direction of the Facility Administrator, is responsible for performing preventative maintenance, repairs, trouble shooting, and replacement of various HVAC equipment, mechanical and electrical motors, pumps, and various safety devices and equipment. The position is responsible for keeping logs on all forms of fire and safety and mechanical equipment, inspections, tests, and services performed. The position also performs snow and ice removal and limited security duties. The position also coordinates and performs grounds keeping activities with the youth incarcerated at the Facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assembles, installs, and maintains lawn care, snow removal, housekeeping and facility equipment.
- Develops and maintains logs and database(s) of information for fire safety and mechanical equipment inspections, tests and services performed.
- Maintains and repairs Facility including painting, plumbing, carpentry, electrical, locksmithing and other maintenance services.
- Maintains and cares for facility vehicles including scheduling routine maintenance such as oil changes, tire rotations, etc. and any warranty and/or recall work.
- Performs the removal of snow to provide for the safe condition of driveways, parking lots and walkways.
- Maintains and cares for vehicle sally port and admission/booking area.
- Supervises residents in assigned work detail.
- Maintains and services kitchen and laundry equipment.
- Maintains building and roof area, air conditioning and heating units.
- Receives deliveries of equipment and supplies for the facility and verifies the completeness of the orders.
- Develops and maintains inventory of all maintenance supplies and equipment and maintains associated records
- Inspects fire extinguishers annually and reports if recharging is necessary.
- Inspects and maintains Facility generator and coordinates routine professional maintenance and inspections of facility emergency supplies and equipment.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assists in fire drills and other safety drills as scheduled.
- Ensures waste is properly disposed.
- Attends meetings and participates in training courses.
- Ensures control of pest and vermin.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, executives, Board of Directors, customers and clients and outside vendors/service providers.
Position medium with lifting of 100 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include frequent standing, walking, carrying/lifting, manual handling; occasional sitting, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, bending, and typing. Working environment includes frequent exposure to weather and occasional exposure to extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, noise and vibration and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts and equipment, occasional exposure to high exposed places, chemicals, insecticides/pesticides, client contact, infectious exposure and computer use. Employees are subject to physical and emotional behavior of youths. Personal protection equipment provided by employer includes items such as but not limited to, gloves, gowns, face shields, masks, eye protection, mouth pieces, resuscitation bags, pockets masks, ventilation devices and other equipment as needed. Immunizations including Hepatitis B vaccination series will be offered to team member at no cost. TB vaccinations required on yearly basis and provided to team member at no cost.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years of experience working in the maintenance field required.
Certification/License: Required to be trained and obtain certification in BIA Facilities Management database software, per BIA Regulations. Trade or technical school certification in HVAC systems or facility maintenance preferred. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department.Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC equipment and controls) required. Knowledge of electrical, electric motors, and various water pumps required. Knowledge of basic light carpentry and plumbing required. Knowledge of facility safety regulations: OSHA, Life Safety preferred. Knowledge of bio hazard medical waste handling and disposal preferred. Knowledge and ability to use word processing, spreadsheet and data base software preferred. Knowledge of basic housekeeping processes and job requirements, sweeping, mopping, dusting, stripping and waxing floors required. Knowledge of common commercial chemicals such as floor strippers, disinfectants, and waxes preferred. Ability to trouble shoot, replace and service various mechanical components of HVAC equipment, pumps, and electric motors required. Must be able to work extended hours when needed.Knowledge of and ability to use tools, materials and equipment used in the repair and maintenance of mechanical equipment, building(s) and ground(s) required. . Must have basic knowledge of or ability to learn health and fire safety practices and standards. Must be able to perform a variety of maintenance tasks involving carpentry, electrical, plumbing and mechanical. Must be able to work in high stress/hostile environment and handle difficult situations. Must have basic knowledge with door locks, secure fire rated doors, security cameras and controls. Must be able to perform required and emergency functions of the position with little to no supervision. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit a friendly and positive attitude. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts