Custodian/Janitor (Big Bear Arena) Closing Date: Open Until Filled
- - Government - Chi Mukwa Recreation Center
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Part Time
The Custodian/Janitor, under the direction of the Operations Manager, is responsible for the cleanliness of the indoor and outdoor grounds of the Chi Mukwa Community Recreation facility and for the set up and tear down of equipment for special events.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
• Cleans exterior grounds, removes litter and sweeps where necessary.
• Cleans interior of facility by removing litter, cleaning and sanitizing surfaces and equipment.
• Maintain floors by sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, stripping and using automatic scrubber.
• Monitors facility refrigeration system on a daily basis.
• Sets up and tears down tables, chairs, stages, bleachers, and other items as needed for special events.
• Operates lawn equipment and hand and power tools.
• Operates the ice resurfacer (Zamboni).
• Prepares daily work reports.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
• Coordinates tasks of Student Workers in absence of Operation Manager.
• Assists maintenance personnel with various duties.
• Performs crowd control and enforces facility rules.
• All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position is heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum, with frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant standing, walking, reaching, manual handling, hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, bending; frequent sitting, carrying, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, operating lawn equipment, and occasional typing. Working conditions include constant exposure to noise, frequent exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, vibration; occasional exposure to wet/humidity and air quality. Potential hazards include constant exposure to moving mechanical parts, chemicals, infectious exposure, client contact, needles/syringes; frequent exposure to electric shock, high exposed places, insecticides/pesticides; occasional computer use and equipment use.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: One year custodial experience preferred.
Certification/License: Must obtain CPR Certification and First Aide training upon hire, training will be provided. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of basic custodial duties required. Knowledge of basic cleaning chemicals required. Basic knowledge of lawn equipment required. Basic knowledge of and ability to operate power and hand tools required. Knowledge of safety codes, regulations and sanitation/hazardous materials preferred. Must successfully complete training on the ice resurfacer, training will be provided. Must be able to work independently. Must be able to deal effectively with the public. Must be able to prioritize work duties to accommodate the facility. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must be able to promote good public relations in a cooperative, productive working environment. Must be able to respond to difficult and stressful situations in an efficient, effective and positive manner. Must be able to analyze situations and adopt effective courses of action. Native American preferred.