Quality Officer-Full Time/Regular-8/30/2020
- - Environmental
- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
The Quality Officer, under the direction of the Environmental Program Manager, is responsible for furthering the role of the Tribal Environmental Department in protecting and restoring the natural resources of the Tribe, through inspecting, planning, managing, monitoring and reporting on all data collection programs and projects. The incumbent is the lead field person in the development and implementation of the department's Quality Management Plan, and coaches all department staff in Quality systems and documentation.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Drafts, reviews, and revises Tribal Environmental Quality Management Plan, including revisions schedule, audit schedule and procedures, quality parameters for non-data program elements.
- Drafts, reviews, and revises program Quality Assurance Project Plans for data collection programs including surface water, seed bank, soil analysis, GIS lab, and water/wastewater testing programs.
- Assists with strenuous field activities under all weather conditions, promotes a safe working environment and maintains environmental equipment to ensure proper operation.
- Works with local Tribal environmental programs including tribal and intertribal consortia to develop and implement Quality Management plans to the extent these program welcome such assistance.
- Utilizes GIS and other computer software applications to assist meeting program goals.
- Gives presentations on Quality issues to Tribal Board, MTEG meetings, GLNPO conference and similar groups.
- Serves as a resource person to Tribal environmental professionals regarding Quality issues.
- Serves as a resource person to GLNPO regarding tribal environmental programs.
- Assists with Federal partners' promotion of Quality systems to tribal environmental programs.
- Works with State, Federal, and other Tribal resources and Environmental Professionals to integrate Quality management plans and programs with Tribal goals and cultural values.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Ensures tools and equipment are safely and correctly used, maintained, and stored.
- Participates in Environmental Department outreach activities regarding environmental issues.
- Attends meetings, training, and conferences as required to maintain professional skills.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendor/service providers, children and youth, tribal members, volunteers; county, State and Federal agencies, peers in other Tribes, consultants and Inter-Tribal agencies.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include frequent walking, sitting, use of smell, near/midrange/far vision, typing and depth perception and color/field of vision; and occasional standing, carrying/lifting, climbing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, driving and bending. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme cold, wet/humidity and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent computer use and occasional exposure to chemicals, insecticides/pesticides, infectious exposure, needles and syringes, and equipment. Personal Protection equipment/clothing includes steel-toed boots, rubber waders, hard hat, tear away safety vest and other high-visibility clothing.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Biology or Chemistry or Science or Engineering related field required.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience working in any science field required; with 3 years of experience preferred. Experience working in Quality Management preferred. Knowledge of Quality System Documentation preferred.
Certification/License: Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Must maintain confidentiality. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have interest and motivation to achieve Tribal environmental goals. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisory personnel, coworkers and the general public. Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing, spreadsheet and data base software, including navigating the internet. Must be able to work extra hours in emergency to protect public health and safety. Must be willing to travel within Service Area. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts