Community Health Nurse - Full Time / Regular - Open Until Filled
- - Health
- Sault Ste. Marie , MI, USA
- Full Time
The Community Health Nurse, under the direction of the Community Health Nurse Supervisor or Community Health Program Manager – Rural, is responsible for providing health promotion/disease prevention services, community health nursing services and home health services based on current community health nursing concepts and standards of practice for members of all ages of the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians. The position is responsible for direct in home, office, clinic, school and work setting services for individuals and groups and for conducting patient education sessions and health screenings, monitoring and health promotion services during group education sessions, community health fairs, activities and events. The position is responsible for Community Health Nursing practices and promoting and preserving the health of the Native American population by integrating the skills and knowledge relevant to both nursing, public health, and Tribal and cultural traditions. The practice is comprehensive, and general and is not limited to a particular age or diagnostic group, it is continual and not limited to episodic care.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Provides and documents direct patient care within assigned workload.
- Demonstrate accountability and ability to problem solve.
- Incorporates, utilizes, and maintains professional standards of practice.
- Develops, implements, updates and maintain individualized nursing care plans on clients.
- Teaches and instructs patients and families in techniques of positive health measures.
- Intervenes to promote, maintain or restore client's health to prevent illness.
- Provides primary health care and generalized public health nursing services.
- Utilizes nursing process in order to assess, plan, implement and evaluate health needs.
- Participates in peer reviews to ensure the quality of nursing care and best practices are being followed.
- Collects client and community data that is comprehensive and accurate.
- Analyzes data collected and determines diagnoses and plan of care.
- Enforces compliance of community health nurse standards of practice and all standards for accreditation of ambulatory health care services.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Covers on-site clinics or other sites for nursing coverage as needed.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Collaborates with Health Care Providers within and outside the Health Division.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers and outside vendor/service providers.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 20 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision; frequent standing, carrying/lifting, walking, sitting, typing; occasional pushing/pulling, climbing stooping, kneeling, reaching, manual handling, driving and bending. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, noise and occasional exposure to air quality. Potential hazards include constant computer use, frequent client contact and occasional exposure to electric shock and equipment. Personal protection equipment provided includes gloves for CO monitor testing.
Education: Associate Degree in Nursing required; Bachelor's Degree in Nursing preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Registered Nurse required; 2 years of experience preferred.
Certification/License: Must have and maintain current R.N. with licensure in the State of Michigan. Must have and maintain current CPR Certification and comply with recertification on a regular basis. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of Nursing Theory, Skills, and Best Practice Standards required. Knowledge of prevention, transmission, and treatment of disease required. Knowledge of infection control, safety regulations, and standards of practice for community health nursing and ambulatory care required. Knowledge of clinical documentation and electronic health care systems required. Knowledge of boundaries, ethics, delegation and scope of practice required. Knowledge of 7 county service areas preferred. Must have nursing assessment skills and critical thinking skills. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors, subordinates and the general public. Must be able to problem solve and delegate. Must have knowledge and ability to use word processing and spreadsheet, data base and electronic health record charting software. Must maintain confidentiality. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing. Native American preferred.