Staff Pharmacist - Part Time/On Call (St Ignace) Closes - Open Until Filled
- - Government - Pharmacy
- St Ignace, MI, USA
- Depending on Experience
- Part Time
The Staff Pharmacist, under the direction of Pharmacist Supervisor or Chief Pharmacist, is responsible for using their clinical skills for prescription order review, consultation with prescribers for optimization of care, dispensing of medications and patient counseling.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Reviews all medication orders for safety and appropriateness of therapy using I.H.S Standards of Practice for Pharmacists.
- Dispenses medications with a very high degree of accuracy to minimize risk to patients.
- Complies with all pharmacy laws and regulations that pertain to the Health Division.
- Provides guidance and advice to Pharmacy Technicians in the execution of their duties.
- Maintains patient confidentiality in compliance with HIPAA, Privacy Act standards, Health Division confidentiality policies and information security.
- Provides primary care using physician approved protocols.
- Provides health education and clinical information about medications to patients and professional staff.
- Ensures all records of receipt and distribution of D.E.A controlled substances are properly maintained.
- Answers telephone calls from patients about pharmacy processes, pharmacology, adverse reactions, and other information.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Complies with Health Division and departmental goals and objectives, policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional competence, continuing education requirements and licensure.
- RPMS drug file and quick order maintenance as assigned.
- Performs controlled substance inventories and participates in clinic wide medication inspections.
- Committee activities as assigned.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendors/service providers, doctors, nurses and other health care providers.
Position sedentary with primarily sitting/lifting of maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, near/midrange vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, typing; frequent standing, walking, sitting, carrying/lifting, reaching; occasional pushing/pulling, stooping, smell, use of far vision, bending and travel. Working conditions include occasional exposure to noise. Potential hazards include constant patient contact, computer and equipment use; frequent exposure to chemicals, infectious exposure, needles/syringes; occasional exposure to moving mechanic parts, electric shock and equipment.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree required within 90 days of hire.
Experience: Two years Pharmacist experience preferred.
Certification/License: Must have an active Michigan license as a Registered Pharmacist or attain within 90 days of hire. Must have an active Michigan Controlled Substances license or attain within 90 days of hire. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have knowledge of or ability to learn to use the RPMS/E.H.R. system. Must have broad technical knowledge and skills related to the practice of pharmacy. Must have ability to speak clearly and comfortably to patients and staff using tact, sensitivity and discretion. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and guests. Must be able to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in a diverse range of audiences and settings. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit a friendly and positive attitude. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.