Nursing Assistant II (Manistique) Closes - 11/09/2020
- - Health
- Manistique, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Nursing Assistant, under the direction of the Clinic Physician Supervisor, is responsible for assisting Nurses and health care providers with patient services, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. The position is responsible for assisting with procedures and admission, orientation and transfer of patients from and within the clinic. Position is responsible for maintaining waived laboratory environment, operations and procedures consistent with COLA accreditation standards. The position is responsible for obtaining, recording and maintaining current and accurate patient records and patient information.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Preps patients for visits and interviews patient's chief complaint and obtains and records patient information.
- As directed and supervised by health care professional, collects and records a variety of routine patient data as part of check in procedures including, but not limited to; height, weight, temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure, glucose screenings and EKG's.
- Obtains vitals and monitors condition until provider visit and communicates important information to provider, and maintains current and accurate patient records. Files and retrieves reports and reports abnormal values to providers or nurse.
- Assists provider or nurse with physical exams, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and obtains needed supplies/equipment. Assists provider as needed and performs pre and post procedure set-up and clean-up.
- Identify and reports unusual findings or observations, clinical symptoms, behaviors and treatment reactions immediately to an appropriate provider or nurse.
- Actively participates/assists during urgent care situations as directed; initiates and administers CPR as appropriate.
- Prepares exam rooms for minor surgical procedures, organizes instruments and equipment; assists health care provider during outpatient surgical procedures, applies/removes dressings.
- Cleans and sanitizes exam rooms and fixtures by removing soiled materials/instruments, replacing exam paper sheets and wiping counter areas to provide for efficient room terms.
- Performs lab draws and basic tests; seals and packages for processing by laboratory.
- Assists in cleaning, maintaining, and calibration of medical/laboratory instruments/equipment, orders repairs, maintains autoclave attests for sterility, and performs autoclaving according to policy and procedure for sterilization of instruments.
- Under direction of Laboratory Director, maintains waived laboratory environment, operations, and procedures consistent with COLA accredited standards.
- Maintains stock medical supplies in exam rooms and bulk stock room.
- Assists in coordination of services with other departments, hospitals and physician offices as needed.
- ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Performs clerical and ongoing health related tracking services and duties as assigned.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment.
- Participates in patient care conferences, nursing service meetings, and in-service training activities.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other department, immediate supervisor/manager and customers.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds and frequent lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, typing; frequent standing, walking, sitting, carrying/lifting, pushing/pulling, bending; occasional reaching and manual handling and assisting with patient transfers. Potential hazards include constant patient client, computer and equipment use; frequent infectious exposure; occasional exposure to electric shock, chemicals and needles/syringes. Protective equipment/clothing needed to perform job provided by employer; must follow Universal Precautions and wear protective equipment as required when performing or assisting others in the performance of duties.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Completion of a certified Nursing Assistant or accredited Medical Assistant program required within 6 months of hire.
Experience: Five years of experience working as a Nursing Assistant in a health care setting required.
Certification/License: Certified Nurse Aide or Medical Assistant preferred. Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certification required. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of Nursing Assistant functions required. Knowledge of electronic medical records required. Knowledge of medical terminology and HIPAA privacy regulations required. Must have working knowledge and be able to use office machines, such as calculator, copier, fax, printer and computer. Knowledge of basic medical equipment required. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must be able to use tact, discretion, and sensitivity in dealing with customers. Must be able to work under pressure and handle difficult situations. Must be able to establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and the general public. Must maintain confidentiality. Native American preferred.