Maintenance Carpenter (Temporary Position - Sault Tribe Business Solutions)
- - Sault Tribe Business Solutions
- MI, USA
The Maintenance Carpenter is responsible for installing, repairing, and building items; identifying repair and/or replacement needs; assisting other skilled trades; completing construction projects safety and within established budget and time constraints; providing necessary information on the proper uses of the equipment; and ensuring adequate materials are available to complete assignments in a timely manner by performing a variety of skilled tasks to build, renovate, modernize, maintain and repair residential, commercial, and vacant properties and all other properties and/or entities assigned.
• Constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures of wood, plywood, and wallboard, conforming to local building codes.
• Builds items (e.g. counters, partitions, cabinets), for the purpose of modernizing and/or rehabbing properties for the purpose of ensuring safe and efficient utilization of units
• Coordinates with administration and other trades for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently.
• Informs personnel regarding procedures and/or status of work orders for the purpose of providing necessary information for making decisions, taking appropriate action and/or complying with health and safety regulations.
• Responds to emergency situations during or after work hours for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
• Performs residential rehabilitation, new construction and vacant unit restoration construction projects and modernization and maintenance projects
• Repairs and/or replaces or installs new plumbing fixtures, pipe and water lines, water heaters and unclogs sewer/drain lines, clears and maintains stoppages in sinks, toilets and sewer lines.
• Assemble, install, or repair wiring, electrical or electrical components and fixtures.
• Performs rough and finished carpentry tasks including hanging, finishing, priming and painting drywall.
• Performs painting on exterior of units, pressure washing, caulking, priming and painting a variety of surfaces.
• Operates lawn equipment to perform grounds work, raking, grass cutting, and weed eating. Drives vehicle to remove trash from vacant homes, curbsides, streets and yards.
• Operates vehicle and equipment to remove snow and ice from walkways, driveways and roofs.
• Maintains and repairs furnaces.
• Inspects units for the purpose of ensuring safety and identifying necessary repairs and providing an ongoing program of preventive maintenance.
• Maintains vehicle, tools and equipment for the purpose of ensuring the availability of items in safe operating condition.
• Prepares documentation for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
• Studies blueprints, sketches or building plans for information pertaining to type of material required, such as lumber or fiberboard, and dimensions of structure or fixture to be fabricated.
• Shapes materials to prescribed measurements. Assembles cut and shaped materials and fastens them together with nails, dowel pins, or glue.
• Fits, installs and repairs prefabricated window frames, doors, doorframes, weather stripping, interior and exterior trim, entry doors, garage doors, windows, screens and finish hardware.
• Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above ground level.
• Builds and maintains positive relationships with tenants, vendors, contractors and team members.
• Accurately records subtractions and additions to inventory, including proper logging and assisting in reconciling inventory on a quarterly and annual basis for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of required items to complete the necessary installation/repair.
• Transports various items for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at a job site.
• Cleans vacant homes and offices.
• Performs other duties, as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, customers and outside vendors/service providers, other various Tribal entities and office staff.
Position lifts objects over 100 pounds with frequent lifting/carrying of more than 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant climbing, stooping, kneeling and reaching; frequent standing, walking, carrying heavy items, manual handling, use of hearing, smelling, near and far vision, depth perception, color and field of vision, driving, sitting and bending; and occasional lifting, pushing and pulling of heavy items, crawling, use of midrange vision and typing. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather, extreme hot/cold, noise and vibration. Tasks may be conducted during periods of inclement weather including extreme cold and heat. Potential hazards include frequent exposure to electrical shock, equipment and occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts, high exposed places, chemicals, insecticides/pesticides and computer use. Frequent working conditions include contact with clients and the general public and direct contact with trash collected from various properties, and as such could be exposed to infectious agents. Protective clothing/equipment needed to perform the job includes steel toe boots, safety glasses, gloves, dusk masks, hard hats and eye protection as needed.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Two years of maintenance construction experience required, 3 years preferred.
Certification/License: Trade or Technical School Certificate in Construction or Mechanical Technology preferred. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain good moral character standing. Must have valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver's license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have knowledge and be able to use power tools and equipment of the trade. Must have knowledge and be able to construct buildings. Must have knowledge and be able to repair drywall and paint. Must have knowledge and be able to perform snow removal using a snow plow, snow blower, or shovel. Must have knowledge and be able to perform lawn care using a tractor, riding and push lawnmowers, weed eaters, pruning and trimming tools and perform equipment maintenance. Must have basic computer skills and have the ability to use data and word processing software. Must be able to complete duties in a timely manner. Must have knowledge and be able to perform electrical, plumbing and furnace repairs. Must have knowledge of OSHA and Tribal safety standards. Must be able to carry pager on a rotating shift for emergency calls. Must be able to haul and backup utility trailers and large equipment. Carpentry skills, including rough and finish work, required. Customer service skills required. Native American preferred. Temporary Position