Lead Cook (St Ignace Youth Detention Center) Closes - Open Until Filled
- - Juvenile Detention Center
- St Ignace, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Lead Cook, under the supervision of the Facility Manager, is responsible for all phases of food preparation, proper handling and rotation of food products, safety standards and cleanliness of the facilities food service areas. The position is responsible for the daily oversight of Detention Center residents' assigned working in the food service areas.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Prepares and cooks meats, vegetables, desserts, salads, casseroles dishes, etc. for general and/or modified diet menus.
- Inspects food and food products prior to use and consumption for quality and freedom from contamination and spoilage; rotates stored food stock to ensure proper and timely usage.
- Inspects dining room premises and food preparation and serving areas for cleanliness and maintains a safe, clean and sanitary kitchen at all times in conformance with applicable food safety standards.
- Assembles food for transportation.
- Receives and unloads returned carts, removes soiled tableware for washing and disposes of unused food.
- · Performs and guides others, in the washing, sanitizing and cleaning of the premises, cooking utensils, eating utensils and kitchen equipment such as pots and pans, steam kettles, slicers, choppers, blenders, refrigerators, ovens, freezers, microwaves, tables and carts.
- Resolves problems encountered such as adjusting quantities and substituting items in recipes, reusing cooked foods or reducing excess waste and spoilage.
- Estimates food costs, establishes proper portioning of food and quality control measures to meet nutritional standards and budgetary responsibilities.
- Prepares requisitions and orders food and necessary equipment.
- Checks maintenance of equipment and requests repairs or replacements of items.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assists in the development of and enforces policies and procedures for the food service area.
- Maintains inventory records and prepares reports as required.
- Instructs residents' in the preparation of food and use of food service equipment.
- Attends meetings and participates in training courses.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position light with lifting of 20 pounds, with frequent lifting/carrying up to 10 pounds. Physical factors include frequent standing, walking, carrying, bending, reaching lifting, use of hearing, smell; occasional sitting, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, manual handling, use of near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision and typing. Working conditions include occasional exposure to noise and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent exposure to moving mechanical parts, operating kitchen equipment, exposure to chemicals and equipment and occasional client contact and computer use. Potential exposure to physical and emotional behavior of youths. Personal protection equipment provided by employer includes items such as but not limited to, gloves, gowns, face shields, masks, eye protection, mouth pieces, resuscitation bags, pockets masks, ventilation devices and other equipment as needed. Immunizations including Immunizations including Hepatitis B vaccination series will be offered to team member at no cost. Must have visual acuity skills and be able to monitor cameras and security panels and distinguish colors. TB vaccinations required on yearly basis and provided to team member at no cost.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years food preparation experience required.
Certification/License: Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must be able to use hand and power kitchen utensils and equipment. Knowledge of the standard methods, materials, practices, tools and equipment used in large scale cooking operations required. Knowledge of the qualities, adaptability and uses of various foods required. Knowledge of health safety standards related to food service industry required. Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety rules and regulations. Knowledge of the proper methods of storing or refrigerating food and food ingredients required. Must have knowledge of food portion controls and nutritional requirements. Must be able to use independent judgment in making decisions related to the work. Must be able to prepare food from recipes. Must be able to adapt standard recipes in preparing food for varying numbers of people and for those with special dietary needs. Must maintain confidentiality. Must be able to successfully obtain First Aid and CPR Certification within 3 months of hire. Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, residents, supervisors and guests. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to work in high stress/hostile environment and handle difficult situations. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts