Executive Assistant to Education Director - Full Time / Regular - 12/10/2020
- - Education
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
Under the supervision of the Education Director, the Executive Assistant is responsible for initiating and coordinating administrative functions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures to support day-to-day office operations of the Education Division. This includes, but is not limited to performing staff assistance on difficult-to-complex development of policy/procedural implementation, tracking of multi-level projects pertaining to Education programs including planning, administration, organization, operation, budgeting, human resource and financial management. This position is also responsible for entering data into various federal systems and the upkeep of program records for tribal students attending JKL school to ensure consistency and compliance with program guidelines.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assists the Education Director with all required federal, state, and tribal reports.
- Receives, tracks and routes communication to/from Division.
- Prepares and tracks disbursement vouchers, purchase orders, accounting paperwork and other documents for approval.
- Monitors annual/quarterly/monthly budgets, expenditures, budget revisions, property procurement, inventory control, and reports these findings to Education Director.
- Coordinates and completes special projects assigned by supervisor.
- Assists with development, implementation and compliance monitoring of policies and procedures.
- Maintains NASIS, student files and K-9 database, including data, running queries, and preparing reports for JKL School.
- Drafts hiring recommendations, disciplinary actions, professional development, and evaluations; provides guidance and serves as a management resource for tribal grant school personnel.
- Coordinates travel for Education Director and other delegated team members, ensuring travel is reconciled in a timely manner and complies with all travel policies.
- Submits employee time records for payroll, maintains records and processes leave requests including delegated signature authority.
- Coordinates meetings including set up, clean up, sign in, minutes/notes, follow up.
- Maintains personnel information for Education Division staff and other delegated team members, including annual calendar of training and evaluation schedules.
- Maintains files, prepares and reviews correspondences.
- Communicates with students, parents, staff and educators as needed.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Maintains confidentiality of student information with tribal and federal laws, regulations, policies, and practices.
- Stays abreast of current, relevant best practices for programs and curricula to promote student academic success, positive youth protective factors, and health and safety outcomes.
- Performs data entry and intake paperwork for other programs as needed.
- Assists in the posting, interviewing and hiring process as needed.
- Participates in various meetings and special committees to obtain guidance, provide leadership, and coordinate activities of these groups to the best interest of the agency and programs.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, supervisor, managers in other Departments, Executives, Board of Directors, customers, outside vendor/serve providers, Tribal Elders and Traditional Ojibwe people, pre-birth to higher educational institutions, social services personnel, students, parents, community members, Federal, State and other Tribal agencies.
Position is sedentary, primarily sitting, lifting a maximum of 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of near vision and typing; frequent sitting, use of midrange vision, occasional standing, walking, carrying, lifting, stooping, kneeling, climbing, pushing, reaching, manual handling, use of hearing, smelling, far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, travel and bending; Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme cold, and noise, Potential hazards include constant computer use, frequent travel by car and plane, occasional moving mechanic parts, electric shock, chemicals, infectious exposure, client contact, and equipment. Working conditions include contact with the general public, client contact and infectious exposure. Exposure to outdoor environments including wooded, field, and uneven terrain for gathering, ceremonial or research purposes. Protective equipment/ clothing needed to perform the job include; hazard kit with protective gloves, mask, etc. and personal protective equipment.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's degree in Office Administration, Education, Business, Management, Human Services or related degrees preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience performing general administrative tasking within a progressive office setting required. Three years of experience working in an education related field, preferably tribal education.
Certification/License: Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Experience working with Native American families preferred. Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing, spreadsheet and database software; knowledge of modern office practices; able to use office machines, such as calculator, copier, fax, printer and computer; have excellent organization & time management skills; able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; able to speak in public and conduct presentations; able to maintain and generate accurate and complete records and reports; able to handle multiple projects; able to handle crisis situations and emergencies; able to work with minimal to no supervision; must maintain confidentiality. Knowledge of NASIS (Native American Student Information System) and FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) preferred. Knowledge of presentation and accounting software. Native American preferred.