Parenting Aide (4)- Full Time/Regular-Open until filled
- - ACFS
- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
The Parenting Aide, under the direction of the Child Placement Services Supervisor, is responsible for assisting professional staff in the child welfare section of ACFS. The position provides transportation of clients, supervision and facilitation of parent, child, and sibling visits, administering PBT and drug screens as well as routine administrative support tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Assist with the scheduling of visits between children, siblings and parents.
- Provide supervised parenting time for parents with their children, allowing the child to interact with their parents in a safe environment while promoting a healthy relationship.
- Promote development of family relationships by allowing the family to take the lead and make choices and encourage a routine and structure that may be adapted to home life with the children.
- Supervise visitation between parents, children, and siblings in a family friendly setting which may include the parental home a relative's home, a public or agency site.
- Provide information and helpful suggestions to the parents on parenting skills, limit setting, etc. as needed, depending on each case dynamics, family needs, and visitation goals.
- Transport and transition children and/or parents to and from each parenting time and related appointments.
- Maintain documentation of family interaction during visits or transportation.
- Provide verbal and written feedback to the primary caseworker to assist with treatment planning.
- Provide court testimony about visit observations.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of clients at all times.
- Assist staff with maintaining child welfare case files.
- Assist staff with office support tasks such as copying, scanning, filing, uploading, and logging information.
- Administers Preliminary Breath Tests (PBT's) and drug screens as requested.
- Completes monthly narrative and statistical report
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Maintains cleanliness of visit areas and vehicles.
- Perform other related functions as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers/clients and outside vendors/service providers.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds maximum, and frequent lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, field of vision; frequent sitting, carrying, and driving; occasional standing, walking, lifting, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, manual handling, use of color vision, typing and bending. Working conditions include frequent exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity and noise and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent client contact and computer use and occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts, electric shock, chemicals, pesticides/insecticides, infectious exposure, needles/syringes and equipment use.
Education: High School diploma or GED required.
Experience: One year working with children or families required.
Certification/License: Car Seat Safety Certification within 1 month of hire. Nurturing Parenting Program Certification within 6 months of hire. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have working knowledge and be able to use word processing and spreadsheet and data base software. Must have knowledge of universal safety precautions. Knowledge of proper child vehicle restraints preferred. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must be flexible and available to work various shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays. Must be able to work in high stress environment and handle difficult situations. Must be able to work with minimal to no supervision. Must have sound interpersonal skills. Must have time management skills. Must have stress management skills. Must have sound decision making and deductive reasoning skills and abilities. Must have crisis management skills. Must have critical thinking skills. Must be ability to establish appropriate relationships and boundaries with clients. Must be able to confront and redirect inappropriate client behavior. Must be comfortable interacting with children and families. Must be self-motivated. Must be comfortable working in unpredictable conditions of public venues and client homes. Must maintain strict confidentiality. Native American preferred.