Home Inspector Open Until Filled
- - Government - Housing
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
The Home Inspector, under the direction of the Assistant Housing Director, is responsible for performing inspections on Sault Tribe Housing Authority properties and other privately owned properties participating in Sault Tribe Housing Authority programs to determine compliance with applicable building codes, regulations and safety standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Travels throughout 7 county service area on a regular basis to perform routine and non-routine inspections on Sault Tribe Housing Authority properties and other privately owned homes.
- Examines new and existing structures, mainly single family homes, to detect any building code violations, structural defects or weaknesses in plumbing, electrical or other systems for Home Rehabilitation and Weatherization Programs.
- Develops scope of work and cost estimates to utilize for request for proposals and bids for rehabilitation projects.
- Performs progress and final inspections, develops punch lists and act as the liaison between contractors and homeowner through duration of rehabilitation projects.
- Performs Housing Quality Standards inspections for Down Payment Assistance and Rental Assistance Voucher Programs to determine if potential apartments and homes are in decent, safe and sanitary condition.
- Performs yearly Lease to Purchase, Mutual Help, and Homeownership unit inspections to determine needed maintenance and develops report of defects and deficiencies.
- Performs pre-conveyance inspections for homeownership units to determine if home is in a decent and safe condition prior to conveyance.
- Provides quality assurance inspections of rehabilitation projects, new construction, vacant units and maintenance work and reports findings.
- Responsible for lead base paint and asbestos testing on all homes inspected that were constructed prior to 1978.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Monitors, tracks and schedules replacement of all safety equipment within Sault Tribe Housing Authority properties including but not limited to, smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers.
- Evaluates policies and procedures relating to construction and rehabilitation areas within the Housing Program.
- Stays current and up-to-date on the State of Michigan Residential Building Codes and participates in continuing education courses related to construction industry.
- Inspects Housing Authority tool and equipment inventory to ensure that all are in safe working order prior to being sent to project sites.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, customers, outside vendors/service providers, and housing residents.
Position medium with lifting of 50 pounds maximum. Physical factors include constant driving; frequent standing, walking, sitting; occasional lifting/carrying, pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, reaching, manual handling, use of hearing, smell, near/midrange/far vision, depth perception, color/field of vision, typing and bending. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity, and noise and air quality. Potential hazards include frequent computer use and occasional exposure to moving mechanical parts, electric shock, high exposed places, client contact and equipment use.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required.
Experience: Minimum of 3 years of experience working in the Residential Maintenance field and 5 years working in Construction field required. .
Certification/License: Building Inspector License required or ability to obtain valid residential building inspector license within 180 days of hire. Lead Base Paint certification and testing required or ability to obtain within 180 days of hire. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must have knowledge of or the ability to learn to use tape measures, GFI tester, moisture meter and other tools/equipment of the trade. Must be able to work with minimal supervision. Must be able to prepare clear, concise, thorough, meaningful, and grammatically correct written reports, letters, memoranda and other written documents. Native American preferred.