Janitor (Head Start/Elderservies) Open Until Filled
- - Early Head Start
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Full Time
The Janitor, under the direction of the Early Childhood Programs Manager and Eldercare Services Division Director, is responsible for performing a wide variety of janitorial services and tasks.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Performs housekeeping tasks such as cleaning, sweeping, scrubbing, mopping, waxing, vacuuming, dusting, moving furniture, window washing, etc.
- Maintains building carpets using carpet extraction equipment including pre-spotters, detergent, and biohazard kits as required.
- Maintains inventory of supplies needed to complete tasks and submit requests for supplies as needed to ensure supplies are well stocked and available.
- Reports obvious facility maintenance requirements to the department lead/supervisor.
- Performs minor grounds keeping duties when needed including but not limited to snow and ice removal, cleaning of walkways.
- Trash and material collection and disposal.
- Cleans upholstery, fire and smoke clean up, cleaning of water damaged flooring and furniture.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Evacuates children during emergency and monthly drills.
- Follows OSHA and Tribal policies and procedures at all times.
- Maintains MSDS sheet updates.
- Attends mandatory meetings and training sessions.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/mid/far vision, depth perception and color/field of vision; frequent standing, walking, carrying/lifting/pushing/pulling, stooping, kneeling, reaching and manual handling and bending; and occasional sitting and crawling. Working conditions include occasional exposure to weather, extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity and noise. Potential hazards include exposure to moving mechanical parts and electric shock, chemicals, infectious exposure, client contact, needles/syringes and equipment and occasional exposure to insecticides/pesticides. Must obtain an annual TB Test. Must be in good physical health as determined by physician. Protective equipment/clothing needed to perform the job include hazards kit with protective gloves, mask, etc. and personal protective equipment.
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
Experience: Minimum of 2 years janitorial experience required.
Certification/License: Must be able to obtain CPR/First Aide Certification with 1 year of hire. Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of OSHA Standards, safety and personal protection equipment use, application and procedures required. Knowledge of infection control policies and procedures required. Knowledge of Biohazard and Fire Extinguisher use preferred. Must be able to follow strict guidelines such as use of specific cleaning chemicals and use of universal precautions at all times. Must be able to operate cleaning equipment including but not limited to carpet extractor, waxer, buffer, etc. Must be able to read and write effectively and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Must be able appropriately interact with very young children and elderly clients. Must be able to perform all duties with no interruption in building operations. Ability to complete minor repairs around the building preferred. Must be able to meet deadlines with attention to detail and accuracy. Must maintain confidentiality. Must be able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts