Telecommunications Technician II Open Until Filled
- - MIS
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Dependent Upon Experience
- Full Time
The Telecommunications Technician II, under the direction of the Telecommunications Manager, is responsible for supporting all of the communication devices across the organizations entire Voice Network to insure their continual operation, including connectivity of thousands of individual communication devices across the Tribes seven county service area. The position is also responsible for maintaining hundreds of communication devices that are utilized throughout the Tribe to connect all of the organizations business critical devices.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Monitors the networks performance using specialized network management software and through continuous monitoring of voice network devices, servers, switches and routers.
- Installs, terminates and troubleshoots cabling used for connection to Voice, LAN and WAN networks.
- Provides backup support to other network hardware in use throughout the Tribal area.
- Answers, logs and closes help desk support help requests and/or work orders.
- Escalates calls when necessary.
- Analyzes and repairs Telecommunication hardware, peripherals, network infrastructure, cabling infrastructure and power backup/conditioning/protection systems.
- Installs and maintains hardware and software for Telecommunication, Local Area Network (LAN and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems.
- Assists and troubleshoots all other telecommunication devices, LAN, WAN, Wireless, POS, SMS, PMS, Call Accounting, Voice Mail Systems, etc. and other technical resources as needed.
- Captures and maintains all Telecommunication system backups.
- Creates and maintains technical documentation, including inventories of hardware, software and voice network mapping.
- Recommends technical solutions to constituents from available options as appropriate.
- Establishes systems planning and executing solutions, installations, configurations, upgrades, and testing of various telecommunication systems.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Maintains expertise in rapidly evolving technical environment as able through available mediums.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, executives, customers and outside vendors/service providers.
Position heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of color vision and typing; frequent standing, walking, sitting, carrying/lifting, reaching, use of hearing, driving, travel throughout the Tribe's service area to service all aspects of the Voice LAN and WAN, bending; and occasional pushing/pulling, climbing, stooping, kneeling, crawling, manual handling, use of smell, near/mid/far vision and field of vision. Working conditions include constant computer use and occasional exposure to weather, wet/humidity, and noise and air quality. Potential hazards include occasional exposure to electric shock, high places and chemicals.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent required. Associates degree in Computer Science preferred.
Experience: Five years of experience working in an advanced communications/network oriented position preferred.
Certification/License: Certification in Network +, CCNA, CCENT preferred. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must undergo a Criminal background investigation done under the rules of the National Indian Gaming Commission. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Advanced knowledge of troubleshooting complex network connectivity issues required. Knowledge of telecommunications systems required. Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisory personnel, coworkers and the general public. Must have problem solving skills. Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit friendly and positive attitude and establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and guests. Must be available to perform duties outside of normal hours of operation. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must have strong work ethic, integrity and positive attitude. Must have organizational skills and be able to plan, prioritize and manage work load to meet goals in a timely manner. Native American preferred.