Staff Writer/Reporter Open Until Filled
- - Communications
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Year Round - Full Time
The Reporter/Staff Writer, under the direction of the Copy Editor, is responsible for identifying and writing newspaper stories, providing news coverage, taking photographs, and assisting in the production and layout of the digitally-created, paginated newspaper.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
• Identifies news topics for consideration of news coverage.
• Provides news coverage in writing as discovered or assigned by the Copy Editor.
• Takes notes, does research, checks facts, and writes news copy for editing.
• Completes rewrites as assigned, such as obituaries, press releases, tribal members' submissions, etc.
• Assists with newspaper layout and acts as page editor, as directed by the Copy Editor.
• Photographs, downloads and names all photos taken, providing names of subjects and cut lines of action as discovered or assigned by the Copy Editor.
• Proofreads and double checks copy as assigned.
• Assists with the day-to-day operations of the Communication Department.
• Complies with Company and departmental policies and procedures.
• Learns all aspects of newspaper production from identifying news topics to submitting pages for print.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
• Assists editor with communications duties such as press release writing and photography, preparing copy for intranet, website and emails, or video recording when needed.
• All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments, Executives, Board of Directors, customers, outside vendors/service providers, Tribal and non-tribal individuals, non-employees, agency representatives, school and university officials, politicians, etc.
Position sedentary with primarily sitting/lifting of maximum of 10 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing and midrange vision; frequent sitting, manual handling, use of depth perception, color/field of vision, typing; occasional standing, walking, carry/lifting, stooping, kneeling, climbing, reaching, use of near/far vision and travel. Potential hazards include constant computer use.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent. Bachelor's Degree in Journalism or five years demonstrated ability in related work experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Experience: Minimum of 1 year newspaper writing experience or experience writing professionally required in addition to above stated degree requirements.
Certification/License: Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have knowledge and ability to operate desktop publishing and word processing software and media and general office equipment. Knowledge and ability to operate Adobe Creative Suite / Quark Xpress image editing and page layout software preferred. Knowledge of or ability to learn and understand the tribal community and culture required. Must be able to travel within news coverage area. Must exhibit friendly and positive attitude and establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and guests. Must have excellent customer service skills. Must have excellent communication skills and be able to communicate clearly in person, in writing, and by telephone and email. Must be able to handle pressure and meet stressful deadlines. Must be able to work flexible schedules as needed. Must be able to adopt Associated Press writing style. Must be able to work with minimum of supervision. Must maintain confidentiality. Must be willing to travel to complete assigned tasks. Native American preferred.