Bus Driver (Head Start) Open Until Filled
- - Head Start/Early Head Start
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI, USA
- Dependent Upon Experience
- Full Time
The Bus Driver, under the direction of the Education and Disabilities Supervisor, is responsible for providing children safe and secure transportation to and from school and on field trips, in accordance with Federal, State, and Tribal regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Schedules a safe and efficient bus route.
- Transports children to and from school and occasional field trips.
- Keeps bus clean and well maintained.
- Plans and implements emergency bus evacuation drills with children, staff, and families.
- Maintains detailed trip and maintenance reports.
- Maintains up-to-date emergency medical contact information for each child.
- Follows all Federal, State and Tribal transportation regulations.
- Maintains detailed and accurate logs of mileage, gas usage, maintenance, cleaning, etc.
- Responsible for location and proper use of all safety devices such as flares, triangles, seat belt cutters, etc.
- Stays up-to-date and aware of all traffic situations and weather conditions.
- Assesses weather conditions on a daily basis.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: (includes, but is not limited to, the following)
- Evacuates children during emergency and monthly drills.
- Assists Cook when not en route.
- Monitors and provides direction to Bus Aides while en route.
- All other job related duties as assigned.
Immediate peers, peers in other departments, immediate supervisor/manager, managers in other departments and customers.
Position heavy with lifting of 100 pounds maximum and frequent lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds. Physical factors include constant use of hearing, smell, near/mid/far vision, depth perception, color and field of vision and driving; frequent walking and sitting, reaching, handling of items and bending; and occasional standing, carrying/lifting/pushing and pulling, stooping, kneeling, crawling and typing. Working conditions include constant exposure to weather, vibration and air quality and occasional exposure to extreme heat/cold, wet/humidity and air quality. Potential hazards include constant exposure to moving mechanical parts and client contact and occasional exposure to electric shock, chemicals, infectious exposure, needles/syringes, computer and equipment use. Must be in good physical health as determined by physician including visual examination. Must obtain an annual TB Testing.
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. required.
Experience: One year of experience preferred.
Certification/License: Must have and maintain CDL driver's license with P&S Endorsements or the ability to obtain within 2 weeks of hire. Must maintain State Of Michigan Bus Drivers Certifications. Must have or obtain CPR/First Aide Certification with 1 year of hire. . Will be required to undergo and successfully pass a background check. Must maintain a good moral character standing. Must have a valid driver's license and be insurable by the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Must comply with annual driver license review and insurability standards with the Sault Tribe Insurance Department. Will be required to complete and pass pre-employment drug testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must have excellent public relation/customer service skills and be able to exhibit friendly and positive attitude and establish and maintain effective communication with co-workers, supervisors and guests. Must be able to teach staff, children, and parents the safety standards of the bus. Understanding of Ojibwa Culture and Language preferred. Must be flexible with work schedule. Must maintain confidentiality Native American preferred.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts